This dish is a very easy and fast to prepare, however, one of the ingredient, dried squid, is not easy to obtain even from Chinatown store, for countries outside Asia. At least that is what happen 20 years ago and I also don’t think it is easy to get from internet, I think it got to do with some import restriction. As dried squid is untreated and age naturally thus produce a nice concentrated and enhance aromana to cooking. Thus without the dried squid will affect the taste of the whole dish, however, it is still nice to just have the fresh squid. The original recipe doesn’t include spinach, but along the way I accidentally discover that it is quite nice to have spinach cook this way too. In South East Asia, people cook this dish with kale too.
This dish can be prepared for the Chinese New Year Reunion Dinner. Normally, it is served as main course with steamed rice or noodle, but I prefer this to go with mee boon (Chinese rice noodle) or instant noodle. As per the name, this dish is suppose to be fiery spicy, however, you can control the spicy to your like by controlling the amount of red chilis. This dish also very suitable to go with beer sessions due to its spiciness will bring out the fermented aroma of the beer.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 fresh squids, cleaned, cut into florets (4 squids if no dried squid)
- 2 dried squids, cleaned, cut into florets (Countries outside Asia required to buy from the Chinatown stores or online), this ingredient is not a must, however, this will affect the overall taste of the dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red chilis, cut
- 1 green capsicum, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, cut into pieces
- 5 pieces of ginger
- 200g spinach or kale (optional)
- 3 tablespoon Black Pepper & Black Bean Sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- A little cornflour water for thickening
- Blanch fresh and dried squid in boiling water for a few minutes. Dish up and drain.
- Heat up olive oil, sauté onion and ginger till fragrant. Add in red chili, green capsicum, spinach (or kale), Black Pepper & Black Bean Sauce, salt and oyster sauce.
- Put in squids, stir-fry at high heat till well mixed. Thicken with cornflour water and dish up.
Cooking Time 30 minutes.