This is another simple and easy dish to prepare. This dish is suitable to prepare as the prawn dish for the Chinese New Year Reunion Dinner. Prawn in Cantonese sound like ‘laughter’ thus used in Chinese New Year Reunion Dinner to represent laughter throughout the year or happiness throughout the whole year. This dish is served as main course with steamed rice.
During my posting to France, I always cook this dish for my seafood dish in my weekly menu as this dish is easy and fast to prepare. Moreover, I can use squids, fish fillets, mussels (shell removed) and calms (shell removed) or even meats as well. I also like to add in cashew nuts. Try to make more gravy, use the gravy for steamed rice is very appetizing. Again I replaced some ingredients from the original with some healthy and natural ingredient.
Ingredients (Serve 4)
- 12 medium-size prawns, shelled and deveined. This can also replaced with squid or a cocktail of seafood, squid and fillet
- 1 green capsicum, cut into pieces
- 1 red chili, cut into pieces (I like to use 2 red chill, provided you can take the spicy)
- 1 onion, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- Honey to taste
- Sesame oil to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoon Char Siew Sauce mixed with 2 tablespoon water to form gravy
- 2 tablespoon Cashew nuts (optional)
- Pineapple, chopped into pieces (optional)
- Marinade and season the prawn with salt, cornflour, honey, pepper and sesame oil for 30 minutes. Deep-fry in hot oil for a short while and dish up.
- Heat up oil, sauté green capsicum, red chili and onion till fragrant. Pour in the gravy, add in prawn and stir-fry at high heat till thick.
- Dish up and serve.
Cooking Time 60 minutes