I get this recipe from a magazine many years ago, I can’t really remember but I think at least about 10 years ago. This is a rather easy to prepare main dish and the ingredient also easily available anywhere.
This dish can be prepared for Chinese New Year Reunion Dinner. It can used as fish dish for Chinese New Year Reunion Dish symbolize abundance. As it is golden in color it also symbolize gold nugget, the Chinese name for this dish is 五味黄金鱼块.
This dish also can serve with mayonnaise sauce or tar-tar sauce, although I think it is best with the Five Favor Sauce. For the fish fillet you can try any fishes you like, I tried white fishes such as Cod, Dolly and Cat fishes, all work well with this recipe.
Ingredients (Serve 4)
- 400 g fish fillet, any types of fish fillets, cut into thick slices (about 5 cm by 5 cm)
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- Some sesame oil
- Dash of pepper
- 200 ml Five Favor Sauce
- Marinade and season the fish fillets with salt, egg white, sesame oil, pepper and Five Favor Sauce for 30 minutes.
- Coat with corn flour and deep-fried in hot oil until golden brown.
- Dish and drain the fish fillets.
- Serve with cucumber and Five Favor Sauce.
Cooking Time 50 minutes, including preparing the sauce.