8th of 8, this is the last recipe from my friend. This soup is easy to cook and it is a very typical common dish in ethnic Chinese family. During 1998 – 2001, when I in France, I and my house mate would love to have this dish everyday if we can especially during winter. My own recipe is about the same as below, the difference is I added carrots and potato. This soup can be served as main dish with rice or instant noodle too, instead of a side soup dish.
- 1/2 kg spare ribs
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 9 cups water
- 2 whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup canned button mushrooms
- 1/1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- Cut the spare ribs with bite size pieces. Boil to remove the blood & then drain.
- Lightly slice an ‘X’ on the skin of the non-stem end of the tomatoes. Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water, remove then peel. Coarsely dice the tomatoes.
- Slice the button mushrooms.
- Bring the cooking wine & water to boil, add the spare ribs & cook over low heat for 40 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, button mushroom & salt, cook for 5 minutes.
Cooking Time: 1 – 1 1/2 hours